The Secretary-General of the United Nations, Antonio Guterres, accused undisclosed parties of having played a role in escalating the confrontation between the army commander, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, and the commander of the Rapid Support Forces, Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo (Hemedti). He said in a televised interview today (Friday): “What is happening in Sudan is not a war between two generals, but rather a crisis that affects everyone,” stressing that it is in the interest of all Sudan’s neighboring countries to work for its stability. Guterres called on all countries not to interfere negatively in the Sudanese situation, expressing his fears of the interference of mercenary groups in the armed conflict in Sudan. The Secretary-General of the United Nations addressed the Sudanese, saying: “We want you to return to dialogue. We will be with you and we will remain in Sudan.”
He added, “We will continue to work to reach a solution to the Sudanese crisis,” noting that there have been 3 truces so far that have been announced in the country, but they have not succeeded in stopping the fire. He said that everyone is ready to go to Sudan to talk with Al-Burhan and Hamidti, adding: “I spoke with the two parties and they expressed their desire to stop the fighting.”
He called on the generals in Sudan to hear from the countries in their surroundings, adding, “We did not expect things to get out of control.” He warned that the continuation of the fighting in Sudan would increase the country’s economic problems, and stressed that the solution to problems in Africa must stem from African mediation. . He expressed his fears of Sudan slipping into a dangerous ethnic conflict. The Secretary-General announced work on a new UN center in Port Sudan, revealing the evacuation of all non-essential staff in Sudan.